I have over 12 years of experience building
innovative and crafty software products and
tools. Social software, collaboration tools,
cellular network protocols, anti-spam gateways
and virtual appliances, I've grown codebases
and organically lead teams towards a
reflective, trustful, agile practice.
Most recently, I've been working for
an early stage startup
as the lead developer, as well as several
Prior to these projects, I worked for five years at Socialtext
as a core developer. Some of my accomplishments there are:
- Guided our globally decentralized
engineering team through major
- Built an innovative and trusting dev culture through
monthly open R & D "Wiki Wednesdays",
agile processes and retrospectives.
- Migrated a legacy webapp codebase into
modern code and real-time
architecture without any major business
interruptions, keeping a small memory
- Stood on the shoulders of giants to
HTTP APIs, used by our team
and our customers.
- Used many tools including Modern Perl,
Outside of work, I have been building
software for citizens. I co-created an award
winning Open Data application called VanTrash.
Built on the simple idea of helping people
remember garbage day, it demonstrated a model
for citizen and government co-collaboration.
Since then, I've co-founded a service called
which gives citizens a more useful and modern
interface into a civic service and enables
municipalities to better communicate to it's
In between all of this, I have co-founded
Hack Space and learned a great deal
about DIY electronics and 3d printers.
I have extensive experience developing products in
- Designing, building and maintaining HTTP, Webhook, and Real-time APIs.
- Analyzing, testing and solving performance and
scalability goals and problems.
- Creating actionable plans of investigation and
execution, then working with teams to
transparently accomplish them.
- Automating business and development
processes to improve company efficiency.
I have mainly developed products using the following
- Internet - I started in Data
Communications and the Internet has been a huge
part of my life and career. I strongly believe in
URIs, HTTP, RESTful APIs and in the open web.
- Unix - I have been working
with various unixes for my entire career. I am
very comfortable at the command line and with unix
- Perl - I've seen The Good, The
Bad and The Ugly of Perl code. But along with
CPAN, Perl has helped me build valuable tools with
fast development times, good performance and low
- PostgreSQL - I have used
PostgreSQL 7, 8 and 9 and built systems for
quick and reliable schema patching, long term
OLAP-style data retention, and traditional
- Remote Deployments - I have
been involved in building several real and virtual
appliances for behind-the-firewall deployment. I
have deep experience designing and building
deployment and update systems.
When I build products, I rely on my soft skills:
- Careful listening skills lead to deep
understanding of what is being said
- Pragmatic approach to balancing customer and
- At ease talking, presenting ideas, leading
- Open minded, creative approach to solving
- Speaker at OSCON, YAPC::NA, Vancouver Agile
I have gained various levels of competence with
many other technologies, such as:
Haskell, O'Caml, Vim, Screen, …
And I have many other irrelevant
skills and can grow a mean unix beard.
Prime Radiant Inc
Lead Backend Developer - Sept 2011 to Present
- Build out server-side product functionality
- API Design
Closs Consulting LTD
Primary - June 2011 to Present
Chief Wiki Juggler / Lead Software
Developer - November 2006 to May 2011
- Worked from my home in Vancouver, BC with a
globally distributed development team.
- Acted informally as Agile coach, incorporating
Agile, Lean and Kanban methodologies.
- Designed and built Ubuntu based hardware and
- Built real-time APIs and highly concurrent
daemons for an intranet microblogging product
- Designed and built a flexible reporting
subsystem for product usage and adoption
- Created 50+ product innovations, performance
improvements and other self-guided hacks during
Core Developer and Agile Coach -
October 2003 to October 2006
- Lead teams on many projects, including new
feature development, maintenance releases,
performance, and internal tools.
- Designed and re-built core unix install
experience, product update mechanisms, automated
- Taught many employees to juggle and
entertained staff with weird tricks.
Software Developer - June 2001 to
- Designed and developed GSM/CDMA/UMTS Wireless
Softswitch in ANSI C.
- Created tools to perform automated regression
and performance testing.
- Worked with Architects and Senior Engineers to
analyze performance problems and refactor the
British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Computer Systems Technology - Data
Communications Major (with Honours), Class of 2001
- Team Leader of BCIT's team in the ACM
International Intercollegiate Programming
Competition. Placed 9th out of 48 teams in Pacific
I live in beautiful Vancouver, Canada.
You can reach me as @lukec on Twitter or via email - jobs at lukecloss com.